Fitness & Gym
Activities include aerobics classes, abdominal classes, circuit and weight training all led by qualified instructors.
The Fitness Suite (multi-gym) is well equipped to provide the individual with their aerobic needs and our group sessions have shown that fitness can be fun.
We have a range of fitness classes to suit your needs at reasonable prices.
(Gym pictures taken Feb 2015 following new floor being put down.)
Pilates at The Avenue
Stott Pilates - An internationally recognised form of holistic/mind-body type of exercise. Pilates means working from a mat to exercise muscles such as the lower back and abdominals in a safe and beneficial way. This class also improves your posture and tone by using lengthening, strengthening and stretching exercises. If you are interested in attending this type of class please contact Maggie Clarke. The maximum number of participants is 8.
Circuits - Following a set routine between stations at quick intervals with some serious motivation from your coach. A whole body workout especially good for muscular strength and endurance. Its a great class to do with your friend or partner
Pilates - A holistic mat based exercise class that focuses on core postural muscles and developing body alignment. This class improves posture and tone by using lengthening, strengthening and stretching exercises
Spinning - Every class is a little different, but one of the great things about the Spinning program is that it is adaptable to your fitness level. Remember that there's no competition. Listen to your body and adjust the resistance on your bike accordingly. If you're a first timer, let your instructor know. He or she can make sure your bike is properly adjusted
Stretch and Tone - A mat based class focusing on strengthening the whole body
Zumba - We take the "work" out of workout, by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the Latin and World rhythms take over, you'll see why Zumba® Fitness classes are often called exercise in disguise. Super effective? Check. Super fun - definitely
Kettle Bells- Coming soon!!!!!
Please arrive in time to start the class
Bring a towel and water to the class
The timetable is subject to change at the club’s discretion. Changes will be placed on gym notice board
Are you a gym member? You can find a copy of the gym bye-laws here ==> byelaws
You can find the resistance training guidelines here ==> resistance training
Pete Davies - Level 4 Advanced Personal Trainer (Register of Exercise Professionals)
- I have 20 years experience in the Health & Fitness Sector
- My main full time role within the Health & Leisure Sector is managing and evaluating Health and Fitness facilities at various locations throughout the country and working in conjunction the The Fitness Industry Association (FIA)
- I am also currently employed full time as an External Verifier for an Awarding Body
- I have been a Personal Trainer to a number of clients that have included Sally Gunnell OBE and Mark Roe (Golf)
- I have enjoyed many years of participation in various sports such as Football, Tennis & Squash
Expertise & Qualifications
- Level 3 Certified Personal Trainer with The National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Level 3 Award in Swimming Pool Plant Operations
- Level 4 Certificate in Exercise for the Management of Low Back Pain
- A1 Assessor Certificate
- V1 Internal Verifier Award
- V2 External Verifier Award
- Specialising in Low Back Pain Management, Stability/Fit Ball, Group Cycling or Spinning, Circuit Training, Exercise to Music, Gym and Weight Training Classes
Cost: £35 per hour. Discounts for block bookings. Group training also available
Telephone: 07759 403149
Maggie Clarke - Pilates Instructor (REPS accredited)
I am enthusiastic, friendly and passionate about Health & Fitness. With my broad knowledge of general fitness, I am dedicated to helping you attain your goals.
- I have over 10 years experience in Health & Fitness
- I have been regularly teaching classes to people of all ages
- I have been responsible for the Co-ordination of classes within the Health & Fitness Industry with David Lloyd Leisure
- I have empathy when training people
- I can give confidence & self esteem
- YMCA Exercise to Music
- YMCA Step Exercise to Music
- YMCA Aqua
- YMCA Exercise to Music for the Older Person
- Stott Mat Pilates
First Aid qualified
Telephone: 07759 403151
Nick Pomfret - Personal Trainer
What can a Personal Trainer do for me?
Recent proven success with club members shows I can help YOU
- Improve your game with sport specific training
- Tone the body
- Lose weight
- Improve respiratory & cardiac output
- Improve flexibility & mobility
- Raise your whole body fitness
I have been a life long sportsman participating in badminton, squash, tennis, football, cricket, running, cycling, canoeing & sailing followed by 15 years in the health & fitness industry.
- YMCA Personal Trainer Level 3
- YMCA Gym Instructor
- YMCA Weight & Resistance Training Instructor
- YMCA Nutrition & Weight Management
- YMCA Circuit Training Instructor
- YMCA Exercise & Fitness Instructor for the Over 50’s
- Kaiser Indoor Cycling Instructor
- Sport specific training, e.g. Tennis & Squash agility & strength
- Weight management
- Body conditioning, flexibility & core strength
- Exercise and fitness for the older person
What can I do for you?
- Design a one-off personal fitness programme or ……
- Work with you over a period of time to achieve your goal
- Want to drop a dress size – or two! Then I can help.
Cost £35 per hour. Discounts for block or group bookings.
FREE initial fitness assessment.
Telephone : 07773 772117
Get fit for life – it’s never too late!
Anneli Boggust - Personal Trainer
I am passionate about healthy lifestyle choices, sport and fitness, especially running half marathons, mountain biking, snowboarding & windsurfing.
I enjoy helping others to reach their potential.
- Diploma in Personal Training - Level 3
- GP Exercise Referral - Level 3
- Gym Instructor - Level 2
- Circuit Training Instructor
- First Aid
- Kettlebell training
- Nutritional Adviser
How I can help you
- I will help you reach your goals & get the very best out of each workout in a fun, challenging & rewarding way taking your ability to a new high.
- With the right combination of exercise, nutrition, motivation & guidance, you will leave my sessions feeling energised, happier, healthier & fitter.
- Reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle by reaching your potential!
I specialise in: lower back pain, sports specifics, nutrition, postural correctness, weight management and toning.
I can help you benefit from my expertise whether you:
- Are new to exercise
- Have reached a plateau
- Want to increase your aerobic fitness levels
- Wish to improve your flexibility
- Are a sports enthusiast
- Need to elevate lower back pain
- Want to lose weight
Telephone: 0796 848 1935
Please feel free to come and have a chat with me when you see me at the club or pick up one of my cards.
Sarah Grady - Level 2 Rep (Register of Exercise Professionals).
Exercise to Music. I am a highly motivated and friendly instructor; I aim to make all my classes fun and enjoyable as well as giving everyone that comes to my classes a really good workout.
I have been an Aerobic Instructor for the past 25 years. Teaching various classes to all ages and abilities my favourite being Step and Spinning. All my life I have been involved in fitness. As a young girl I represented England at High Jump. I also participated in various sports at country level, but also enjoy playing sport socially as well.
- RSA/YMCA Exercise to Music
- Step Reebok
- BAWLA Gym Qualification
- First Aid
Ross Cooper - Personal Trainer Level 3 (YMCA)
- I have been Personal Training since June 2006. I have always been interested in sports and fitness.
It was when I was backpacking in 2004/05 that I decided what I wanted in a career was to help people.
The obvious thing was to become a fitness instructor.
- I currently run an evening and morning Fat Loss Boot Camp in Portsmouth, and I’m looking to set up more over 2011
- I make exercise fun and enjoyable with my friendly enthusiastic nature
- I have a real passion for helping people
- I am empathetic with my clients
- I have vast experience of training around various conditions, injuries and levels of fitness
- My client age range is from 12 - 70
My interests are playing and watching Football, Running, Gym, Classes, Surfing, Golf, Travel and Socialising.
- I currently teach Circuits and Fitball here at the Avenue, I also run Fat Loss Boot Camps in Portsmouth.
- I have taught various classes, Boxercise, Circuits, Body Conditioning, Fitball and Abs.
- Level 2 CYQ Gym and Circuit Instructor (2005/2006)
- Level 3 CYQ Personal Trainer award (2006/2007)
- Fitball Instructor (2008)
- Boxercise Instructor (2008)
- NPLQ Pool Lifeguard (2008)
- Level 2 CYQ Children’s Fitness (2009)
- Kettlebell instructor (2010)
- Level 2 Exercise to Music Instructor(2010)
What can I do for you?
- I can offer you motivation with varied exercises to keep it fun and challenging
- I have helped clients lose up to 1 stone and 11 inches around the body in just 4 weeks
- I can help you change your lifestyle and the way you think about Exercise and Nutrition
- I can help you feel more healthy and energetic
Whether you are looking for short term or long term goals, I can help you with Personal Training one – one or in a small group, I can train you in my local park, in the comfort of your own home or here at the Avenue gym.
If you feel that you could benefit from my help then contact me
Telephone: 0770 876 6084
Cost £30 per hour. Discounts for block or group bookings.
FREE initial fitness assessment.